Colonial and revolutionary families of Pennsylvania; genealogical and personal memoirs (1911); Vol.1

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online Colonial and revolutionary families of Pennsylvania; genealogical and personal memoirs (1911); Vol.1 file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with Colonial and revolutionary families of Pennsylvania; genealogical and personal memoirs (1911); Vol.1 book. Happy reading Colonial and revolutionary families of Pennsylvania; genealogical and personal memoirs (1911); Vol.1 Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF Colonial and revolutionary families of Pennsylvania; genealogical and personal memoirs (1911); Vol.1 at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF Colonial and revolutionary families of Pennsylvania; genealogical and personal memoirs (1911); Vol.1 Pocket Guide.

Ralph Partridge, the first pastor at Duxbury, Massachusetts, and his son, Ralph Thacher was a missionary to the Indians. Chester Patterson and Mary Ann Elliott Patterson were the parents of six children; three sons and three daughters. David Williams, born in Union, Broome county. He obtained a good common school education and studied dentistry at Rochester, New York, entering the dental profession in He removed to West Winsted, Connecticut, December 24, , where he practiced until May, , when he returned to Newark Valley with his family, and henceforth gave himself up entirely to the study and writing of genealogy, in which he had become deeply interested while in Connecticut.

He became an authority on American Genealogy and compiled and published some works in that field. His most extensive work was the "Whitney Family of Connecticut," comprising three quarto volumes, and with index contains 2, pages. He was employed continuously in this work for seven years. Four children were born to Mr. Walworth, of the M. Church ; died in Newark Valley, October 26, Joseph Emmett, see forward. They are the parents of: Hanford Thacher and Marjorie Amelia Nowlan. Bertha Julia, born in Newark Valley, March 30, He was reared on the Patterson farm at Newark Valley, and received his early education in the public schools.

He began business life on his own account at eighteen years of age by renting and operating a farm. He succeeded and kept adding farm after farm until at the age of twenty-two he had nine farms under his control and management, in addition to a lumber business of some magnitude.

Feeling the need of a better education, he placed himself under private tutors for the next two years, after which he took a business course at Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York. Before entering the college he disposed of his Newark Valley interests, and on leaving he went to Pittston, Pennsylvania, where he entered the employ of the late John Loveland, then an extensive lumber dealer. After three months in his employ Mr.

Loveland offered him a partnership and loaned him the amount of money he lacked to complete the purchase of a one-third interest in the business. The firm expanded, and when they opened a lumber yard in Wilkes-Barre, Mr. Patterson had a half interest in that and in the manufacturing plant they established. Later they moved their saw mill to the Redout Common on River street, where the court house now stands, and milled lumber there for many years, the logs being brought down the river and canal.

Loveland's health failed he asked Mr. Patterson to take a full half interest in the Pittston plant, and to conduct the entire business under the firm name of J. Patterson and Company which he did. At this time the large planing mill and factory at Pittston was built. Loveland's will stipulated that his executors should continue the business just as before his death, which they did for seventeen years, when Mr. Patterson purchased from the Loveland estate their individual one-half interest in the business, now the most extensive of any lumber firm in the Wyoming Valley.

Patterson has other and varied business interests. He is largely interested in the wholesale grocery business of the Crocker Grocery Company, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. He also is interested in coal, and was a director of the Colorado Yule Marble Company, with quarries at Marble, Colorado. Patterson founded the beautiful summer resort on top of Nescopec Mountain, known as "Glen Summit Springs. Patterson conducts all of his business enterprises on a purely independent basis. He is a member of the Employers' Association, that recognizes no union unless conducted on legal lines, and employs his men solely on their merits.

In defense of this vital principle he has spent thousands of dollars and fought some bitter contests with the strong union organization but finally won the victory for independence and perfect freedom, as did his forefathers of Colonial and Revolutionary times. Patterson is a perfect example of a self-made man and has demonstrated what it is possible for a clean living, clean-thinking man to accomplish by careful, conservative, upright, energetic endeavor.

Patterson has two daughters; his only son died when a child; all were born in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania: Helen Harriet, born September 6, Bruce Loveland, born January 13, , and died April 30, Patterson was a devoted member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church and a teacher in the Sunday school for fifty-two years. She was largely engaged in charitable and church work, and was one of the founders of the Home for Homeless Women, and was a member of and interested in the Young Woman's Christian Association of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

This ancient Baptist church was organized in the spring of by a little company of Welsh Baptists in the counties of Pembroke and Caermarthon, who having decided to emigrate to America, and one of them, Thomas Griffith, being a minister of that sect, they decided to form themselves into a church before embarking. The little colony consisting of sixteen persons embarked for Pennsylvania in the ship "James and Mary," June, , and landed at Philadelphia, September 8 of the same year.

Not having, as was common with most of the early Pennsylvania emigrants, purchased land of Penn before embarking to the Province, they located among their brethren of the Pennypack Baptist Church, and remained in Philadelphia county until early in , maintaining however their initial organization. Here a number of others were added to their membership, some of them recent arrivals from Wales, but mostly converts from other denominations among earlier settlers in that vicinity and in Bucks county. In the congregation of this church secured a large part of a tract of land laid out to two Welsh emigrants in Pencader Hundred, in New Castle county, and removing thence in a body built on a promontory known as Iron Hill, near the present town of Newark, Delaware, a little meeting house.

The church there established proved the nucleus of a large and important settlement of Welsh immigrants, and numerous other churches in that and other neighborhoods had their origin in this mother church, the first Baptist church south of Mason and Dixons Line. At Welsh Tract they were joined at different periods by considerable additions from Pembrokeshire and other points in Wales. In , among a considerable party of Baptists from Rhydwillan, Caermarthonshire, who brought letters to Welsh Tract Baptist Church, were several of the name of Evans, one of whom, Thomas Evans, was a brother to the ancestor of the subject of this sketch.

John Evans, probably accompanied his brother Thomas and other relatives from Rhydwillan, County Caermarthon, Wales, to New Castle county, in , but was not baptized member of the Baptist church before his immigration from Wales. John and Lydia Evans were baptized as members of the Welsh Tract Baptist Church, and their names appear on the list of those who signed the Confession of Faith, read February 4, , among the earliest signers.

Another John Evans signed in He died in , leaving a will of which he made his brother, Thomas Evans, executor, and left legacies to his four sons of whom Nathaniel Evans was one. It is possible that Thomas Evans, the emigrant, was the father and not the brother of John Evans, the testator of , the executor being another son of the emigrant, since we find on the list of "Those Removed from us by Death" on the records of the Welsh Tract Baptist Church, under date of "1mo, " the name of "Thomas Efans.

In November, , Abel Morgan, "teaching elder," Thomas Evans, deacon, James James, ruling elder, and nineteen others, including Nathaniel Evans and Annie Evans, "are removed to Carolina, and was recommended by a letter to ye Church of Christ in Charles Town or elsewhere in South Carolina, or they might constitute themselves into a Church. Nathaniel Evans purchased large tracts of land on the Pedee in South Carolina, receiving by patents dated from to at least an aggregate of 1, acres, much of which lying in Marion District, is still owned by his descendants.

He died prior to the Revolution, at a date not definitely known, further than that he was living in Nathaniel Evans married Ruth Jones, of a family that removed with or followed him to the Pedee from New Castle county, and they had children - David, Margaret, Thomas and Nathan or Nathaniel, David Evans, the eldest son, born in Craven county, South Carolina, about , was a captain of Rangers and served throughout the Revolutionary War.

He lost a leg by a cannon shot at the siege of Savannah, while serving under General Nathaniel Greene. Margaret Evans married Major William Baker, a distinguished officer in the Continental Army, from Newbern, North Carolina, and a man of much prominence in public affairs there. Long before attaining his majority he marched with his elder brothers to the defense of the patriot cause, under the intrepid Colonel Waters, and was one of Marion's trusted lieutenants throughout the rapacious and intercine strife that marked the Revolutionary struggle in the Carolinas, where Tarleton and Rawdon, with their Tory refugees, not only incited the bitterest partisan struggles, but with fire and sword determined to crush out the heroic patriots who had pledged their all to the State.

It is a fact that the Southern soldiers of the Revolution under Sumter, Marion, Pickens and others, fought as many battles in their own section as the soldiers of Washington's army in all the other colonies. Nathaniel Evans served as a private under Colonel Waters in the siege of Charleston, and after its fall is enrolled in in the company of Captain Anderson Thomas, and was paid on April 14, , by State order, for services rendered in , in Colonel Water's regiment.

Colonial and revolutionary families of Pennsylvania; genealogical and personal memoirs

He died on his plantation on Cat Fish Creek, in He had been an officer in the English navy, in the West India service prior to , and was drowned on his plantation near the present town of Marion, South Carolina, in , at the age of one hundred and one years. Edith Godbold Evans died after the birth of her two sons Thomas and Asa, the latter of whom died in infancy. Nathaniel Evans married second a Miss Fore, who survived but a few years, and he married third Elizabeth Ann, daughter of Captain Lot Rogers, who came to the Carolinas from Virginia, and was a distinguished patriot during the Revolutionary War.

The will of Nathaniel Evans, of the District of Marion, dated in , proved May 23, , provides for his wife Elizabeth, and devises to his eldest son Thomas acres of land purchased of his brother Thomas; gives legacies to his daughters, Edith, Zilpha and Elizabeth Ann, and sons, William, Nathan and John Gamewell Evans. Thomas Evans, eldest son of Nathaniel, and only surviving son of the first wife, Edith Godbold, was born on his father's plantation near the village of Marion, South Carolina, September 3, He acquired a liberal education, and being a great reader added thereto by his own exertions after reaching years of manhood.

During his early life he engaged in mercantile pursuits and later became an extensive cultivator of cotton. He was a man of note in his day, taking an active part in public affairs. He was State Senator from his district from to , and Master in Equity for his native county from to his death in He also filled the position of Presidential elector for Monroe in , and for Jackson in His residence in Marion village, originally built for a courthouse, still stands on the public square south of the present court house.

He died at "Tranquility," the family home of his wife's family in Granville county, North Carolina, August 9, She was a daughter of George and Martha Daniel Daniel, and a descendant of a family seated at Wigan, Lancashire, England, whose armorial bearings were: Captain William Daniel, the founder of the Daniel family of Virginia, many members of which have achieved distinction, was born at Wigan, Lancashire, in He was a soldier in the royal army during the civil wars, and came to Virginia on the downfall of the monarchy.

He was a vestryman of Middlesex parish, Middlesex county, Virginia, in , and died there in He was a justice in Goochland county, Virginia, to , and sheriff of that county He later removed to Albemarle county, Virginia, where he filled the office of local magistrate , and was sheriff in His will was probated in the latter county February 12, He married in , Elizabeth Woodson, great-granddaughter of Dr. Their eldest son, Chesley Daniel, married Judith Christian, of Albermarle county, Virginia, a daughter of the distinguished family of Virginia Cavaliers who fled England during the Commonwealth and appeared in Middlesex county, Virginia, as early as These Christians were the lineal descendants of the Christian family, W.

V, , VHI, Chesley Daniel crossed the line into the old county of Granville, in North Carolina, and in built his country seat "Tranquility," named similarly with the seat of Colonel Peter. Vivian Daniel, of Middlesex county, Virginia, for an ancestral seat in England. This property is still in the Daniel family. North Carolina, and Jane Beverly Daniel was the first daughter of the latter marriage. She was a woman of estimable character and marked business ability.

On the death of her husband Thomas Evans in , she took charge of his heavily involved estate and managed it with eminent success. Her sons were educated in the best American Colleges and her unlimited hospitality was a by-word in all the Pedee region, while her piety was of the purest kind. She had a family of thirteen children. Her eldest son, Hon. Evans served throughout the war between the states, as Adjutant of Brigade and was later clerk of the State Senate of South Carolina. He received his early education at Marion Academy, and at the age of seventeen entered the South Carolina Military Academy, class of At its completion he went to Carroll county, Mississippi, and after teaching school for a short period he assisted as a civil engineer in building the Little Rock and Napoleon, now the New Orleans and Mississippi railroad.

In he was appointed by the Governor of Arkansas, State Civil Engineer, and in that capacity had charge of the building of all the great levees along the Mississippi, Arkansas and Red rivers in that State. He was living along the Mississippi river during the period when that region was visited by the terrible scourge of yellow fever in , and with two Catholic priests assisted in nursing the victims of that dread disease.

In the spring of , James Evans came to Philadelphia and entered the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania, and received private instruction under the eminent Dr. Pepper, the elder, and Dr. He graduated in the spring of and went to New York with the intention of sailing for Europe to complete his medical education in the great universities and hospitals of London, Paris and Berlin.

Before his embarkation, however, the news of the firing on Fort Sumter reached him, and he hastened south to enlist under the banner of his native State of South Carolina. He took part as a volunteer in the first battle of Manassas, and after the battle was placed in charge of the division hospital at Leesburg, Virginia, where he met and fell in love with Miss Powell, who four years later became his wife.

He was however soon detached for duty as assistant surgeon to Dr. Giddings, at an hospital established at Adams' Run, South Carolina. With this regiment he shared the arduous campaigns of the remainder of the war. On January 4, , Dr. Colonel Daniel Lee Powell, Richmond, Virginia, and at the close of the war bought a plantation on long credit in his native district of Marion, South Carolina, where he settled down to retrieve his fortunes and establish a home by the practice of his profession and the tilling of the soil.

By industry and application he succeeded in paying for his plantation, which he sold in , removed to Mars Bluff, and later in to Florence, South Carolina, where he resided until the time of his death, July 15, , at Clifton Springs, New York, at the ripe age of 77 years. He achieved eminence in his chosen profession, filling a number of honorable official positions in his native state.

In he was elected president of the South Carolina State Medical Association, and the following year was appointed by the governor a member of the State Board of Health. In he became secretary of that board and its chief administrative officer, filling that position for more than ten years. He was active in securing legislation for improving sanitary conditions and classifying the vital statistics of the state, and fostering and encouraging the establishment of local boards of health.

Evans was a voluminous writer on topics pertaining to his profession, and delivered many notable addresses to the various medical and scientific associations with which he held membership.

K Camp - Comfortable (Official Video)

Among his published papers are, "Puerperal Fever," which attracted wide attention both in the American and European medical journals and won for him the distinction of a bronze medal from the Paris Exposition in This decoration is still cherished by his family. He was the author of a number of health tracts for distribution under the auspices of the State Board of Health and the basis of the hygienic and sanitation instruction now introduced into the school course in every public school in his state, on diseases, their cause, treatment and method of prevention, and other kindred subjects.

Barouk of New York. Three grandsons of Dr. David Powell, of the Powells of Madoc Castle, the collaborator of Hakluyt in the compilation of "Hakluyt's Voyages of Discovery," were among the first Virginia adventurers, and active participants in the founding and perpetuation of the first permanent English colony in America. Captain Nathaniel Powell, probably the most prominent of the three brother adventurers, came out to Virginia with Captain Newport with the first colonists of Jamestown in , and was the author of the narrative of the discovery of the Chesapeake in Captain John Smith's "True Relation" He had been a captain in the Low Countries, and became one of the most renowned of the Jamestown colonists.

He was deputy governor when Sir George Yeardley arrived to take up the government of the colony in , and retained his membership in His Majesty's Council, under Yeardley, until he was killed with all his family, by the Indians, on his plantation at Powell's Brook, on York river, in the great massacre of March 19, He left no issue, and his estate was distributed, under proceedings in the High Court of Chancery of London, among the children of his eldest brother Sir Thomas Powell, who was knighted at Theobald's in This was the first representative assembly ever held on the American continent.

After the great massacre Captain William Powell and Sir George Yeardley commanded respectively the two expeditions formed to chastise the savages and an interesting account of this expedition is given in Captain John Smith's "True Relation. Thomas Powell, who accompanied Captain William to Virginia, was one of the wrecked crew of the "Sea Adventure," in , an account of his marriage while stranded on the Bermudas, to Elizabeth Persons is given in the annals of the Virginia company of London.

He was living at "Dale's Gift" on the Eastern Shore of Virginia in , whither he was sent in company with Captain John Pory to make salt for the colony, and is said to have been living in Northampton county, Virginia, as late as He appeared in the court records of old Northampton county as early as , when he was charged with Lese Majesty for having declared "that in former times Kyngs went forth to warrs, but this Kynge was fittin only to sit in a lady's lap," referring to King James I, but he was acquitted of the crime. Again in he made an affidavit relative to the escape of one of his indentured servants, who had run away, where he declares that he is three score years and upwards.

In this document he mentions his son, John Powell. John Powell, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Persons Powell, though mentioned in the records of Northampton county, Virginia, does not again appear, and little is known of him. Walter Powell, supposed to have been a son of John, a grandson of Thomas, of Northampton county, Virginia, was settled in Somerset, Eastern shore of Maryland, in [In the land grants to Walter in the Maryland archives, he declares that he had removed from Virginia to inhabit Maryland with his wife and daughter, Elizabeth.

The Somerset County Records of Maryland, given the date of the births of all his children except Elizabeth and the date of the death of his wife who was buried on his plantation "Greenfields" on Pomoukie river]. He married Elizabeth Beere, whose death occurred in They had six children, mentioned in the will of Walter who died in William Powell, second child and eldest son of Walter and Elizabeth Beere Powell, born in Somerset county, Maryland, in , died in He married Eliza, supposed to have been a Miss Levin, and had among other children named in his will - William Powell, who settled in Prince William county, Virginia, and married Elinor Peyton, daughter of Colonel Valentine Peyton, a justice of the peace and member of the Virginia House of Burgesses, who was a great-grandson of Henry Peyton, gentleman, who with his brothers.

Colonel Valentine and Lawrence Peyton, gentleman, were in the royal army in the civil war in England and fled to Virginia in That they were of the ancient family of Peyton's of Iselham and Peyton Hall, founded by Reginald de Peyton, who died in , appears from the confirmation in "Le Mor's Knights" p. Burrough, 24 July, , with an alteration of the Peyton arms Borough Grants, fol. He had served prior to attaining his majority as a deputy to his maternal uncle, Colonel Henry Peyton, then sheriff of Prince William county.

He was elected in major of the Loudoun batallion of minute-men, and he was the author of the resolutions adopted by the Loudoun county patriots, in the Committee of Safety, of which he was a member. He was in active service with the Virginia militia in its operations against Lord Dunmore in , and in was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of the 16th Virginia regiment, Continental Line, and was with Washington at Valley Forge and Morristown, where his health was so impaired by the hardships he bore that he was forced to resign his commission.

Colonel Levin Powell was a member of the Virginia Convention of , which ratified and adopted the Federal constitution. He was a presidential elector in , and in was elected to the United States Congress as a Federalist and re-elected in He died at Bedford Springs, Bedford county, Pennsylvania, where he had gone for his health, July 23, Colonel Levin Powell married, in , Sarah Harrison, daughter of Colonel Burr Harrison, of "Chippawamsic," Prince William county, Virginia, a justice of the peace and member of the House of Burgesses from Prince William county, where his great-grandfather, Burr Harrison, had settled, in , having fled from England, a refugee from the royal army to escape the vengeance of Cromwell.

Burr Harrison, of Chippawamsic. Margaret's, Westminister, December 28, Giles Vauderville, was sent as an Ambassador to the Piscataway Indians. His name appears, July 10, , with those of John Washington. Rice Hooe, George Mason, etc. John Orr had come to Virginia in He was a son of Rev. John Dalrymple, Laird of Waterside; and grandson of Rev. Alexander Orr, of Burrowfield, Renfrewshire, an ardent covenanter, who suffered martyrdom for his religious faith, and his wife Lady Barbara Craufurd, of Auchinaines.

The Orrs were an ancient family of Renfrewshire, dating back to A. Anthony Hay, of Williamsburg, Virginia, a lineal descendant of the family of Hay of the earldom of Erroll, in the Scottish peerage. Daniel Lee was a son of Dr. Hedges, of New Orleans; Mrs. Patrick Henry Cabell; Rev. John Dalrymple Powell, of Norfolk; Dr. Frederick Lloyd, of Missouri; Mrs. Jones, of New York; and Mrs.

Brooks, of Alexandria, Virginia. James and Maria Antoinette Powell Evans, had nine children, of whom Powell Evans, the subject of this sketch was the second. South Carolina, is unmarried. C, at the New York Art League, and has pursued her studies several years since under the best masters in the city of Rome, devoting herself to portraiture in oils. Maria Lee Evans, he second daughter, born November 18, , married, in , Hon. Senate from South Carolina, Riely, of the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals.

James Daniel Evans, the third son, born at Mars Bluff, South Carolina, December 11, , an undergraduate of South Carolina College, class of , received the degree of Bachelor of Laws at the same institution in , and was admitted to the South Carolina bar. He came to Philadelphia and practiced law in that city until , when he returned to his native state and now resides at Florence, Florence county, South Carolina.

He is the author of a history of the Evans family, from which most of the data in this sketch is obtained, and is a member of Maxie Gregg Chapter, Sons of Confederate Veterans, and of the University and Southern Clubs of Philadelphia. Powell Evans, eldest son and second child of Dr. He graduated from Hobart College, Geneva, New York, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, in , member of Phi Beta Kappa, Literary and Social Fraternities, and engaged in business as a civil and electrical engineer, which he continues to the present time. He is much interested in street, passenger and other railways, automobile and good roads work, as well as in fire protection engineering.

Clarke Merchant, born in the Oglethorpe Barracks, Georgia, where his father was then stationed, entered the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, and graduated there in He resigned from the navy in and engaged in business in Philadelphia until his death in May, , having become one of the wealthiest and most influential citizens of the city. Both the paternal and maternal lines converge in a common fatherland - the green Isle of Erin. Beyond that the Browns trace to the Covenanters of Scotland.

Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, owes much to those early settlers of Scotch-Irish extraction, who laid broad and deep the foundation on which alone can be built true and permanent prosperity. Rugged in their honesty, deep and unchanging in religious conviction, untiring in their industry, unflinchingly loyal to their adopted country, they were a fitting race to brave the perils of the frontier and to lay the foundations of civil and religious liberty, on which to build a State.

After the "Steel-Boy" insurrection , on account of the unsettled and intolerable conditions in Ireland, he came to America, landing at Philadelphia, and coming as far west as that Scotch-Irish hive in Cumberland, now Franklin county, Pennsylvania, where, doubtless, he had friends who had preceded him.

He did not long remain there but resumed his journey west, finally, in , settling on land in Sewickley Manor, now Mount Pleasant township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. This was just before the formation of that county. The land of which he became possessed was obtained by purchase from the Penn's, and was of an extent that was considered a very large holding for that date. It is now the heart of the Connellsville coking coal region and exceedingly valuable. Four hundred fifty acres of the original purchase have been handed down through successive generations and are now owned by a great-grandson, Joseph W.

Here James Steel built his home and reared his family, amid the alarms of war and the dangers of a forest, filled with wild creatures and foes still more to be feared - the Indians. True to the instincts of his race and urged on by personal conviction, when it became necessary to choose between loyalty to the mother or his adopted country, James Steel did not hesitate nor vascillate. He took the oath of allegiance, required of all foreign born citizens, March 28, , before Hugh Martin, a justice of the county, and enlisted in the Mount Pleasant Associators.

He served in the campaign of the Jerseys, as did his two brothers-m-law, Robert and Andrew Donaldson, both of whom were killed in battle. The entire military service of James Steel covered a continuous period of three years, during which he bore with fortitude the shock of battle, the weariness of forced marches and the suffering of the poorly equipped, half-fed soldier, of that great war, which gave birth to a nation. James Steel married first Elizabeth McMasters, the daughter of a neighboring farmer.

She bore him a son and a daughter. Pleasant township, and moved to Franklin township, and is buried at the Old Tent United Presbyterian graveyard. The daughter, Jane, became the wife of William Hunter, of Mount Pleasant township, and moved to Perrysville, Richland county, Ohio, where many of their descendants now live. Steel married second , about the close of the Revolutionary war. Elizabeth, born September 25, , married Alexander Hamilton, lived at what was then called "Irishtown" on the Clay Pike, west of Ruffsdale, on the farm now partly owned by Franklin Null, and is buried in the Middle Presbyterian grave-yard in Mount Pleasant township.

She left, surviving her, a large family, some of whom moved to Geneseo, Illinois, and later to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. John, we will mention later. James Steel, the founder, died September 10, , after a full and honorable life of eighty-two years. He grew up on the home farm, which later became his property, and which was his home until , when he moved to the "Judge Robert Hanna Farm," in Salem and Hempfield townships, which had been purchased by him in , and on which was located "Hannastown," the first county seat of Westmoreland county.

John Steel became one of the foremost business men and large land owners in the county and did much for the good of the community. Besides being the first county seat, Hannastown will always live in the annals of western Pennsylvania, as the first place west of the Allegheny mountains in all America, where justice was administered according to the forms and precedence of English law. It was here that the Scotch-Irish, the race that never produced a traitor to the cause of liberty, on May 16, , signed and promulgated the first declaration of independence. This was but twenty-seven days after the fight at Concord and Lexington and fifteen days prior to the Mechlenburg declaration.

It was here also, on July 13, , that the last battle during the Revolution with the British and Indians, fighting as allies, occurred, ending in the destruction of the former county seat of, what was then, all western Pennsylvania. Nine children were born of this marriage: Hanna Smithton, Pennsylvania; Martha Mrs.

Mechling Greensburg, Pennsylvania; William, of later mention. John Steel married second August 6, , Mary Byers, of which marriage there was no issue. He died April 22, , and is buried in the Congruity Presbyterian grave-yard. He was but two years old when the family moved to Hannastown, and here his entire life has been spent. He has added many acres, by purchase, to the original farm and acquired large holdings of valuable real estate and coal land.

He was the pioneer of Westmoreland county in the introduction and breeding of short-horn cattle and importing of pure bred draft horses, having made two trips to Scotland to select and purchase Clydesdale stock. Always having been identified with the farming and stock breeding interests of the county, Mr. Steel is considered an authority on such matters and, although now advanced in years , he still retains the management of the farm, ably assisted however by his son, who is the active head. William Steel married, April 3, , Sarah Jane Brown of whose ancestors further mention will be made.

After a married life of forty-six years, during which she became the mother of eleven children, all of whom, with one exception, survived her, Mrs. Steel departed this life March 25, , and is buried in the cemetery at New Alexandria, Pennsylvania. She was the last surviving child of her parents, as her husband, William Steel, is the last of the children of John Steel.

The children of William and Sarah J. Brown Steel were all born on the historic "Hannastown Farm;" nearly all of them in the handsome country residence erected in by their father, William Steel. They are as follows: John Byers of further mention ; Mary Herron Mrs. Pennsylvania; Helen Milligan Mrs. Albert Nichols Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. Brown Steel, was born February 17, , at Hannastown, Pennsylvania. He was country born and farm bred, but with an energy and an ambition that was destined to lead him into entirely different channels of action.

His early education was obtained in the district school, and his youthful labors were those of the average farmer-boy of that day. The district school was supplemented by a course at the academy in New Alexandria, and later by one at the Greensburg seminary. After these years of preparatory work, he entered Geneva College as a classical student and was graduated therefrom with the class of He had now determined on the law as his profession, and accordingly entered the law office of Judge James A.

Hunter as a student. In he was admitted to practice at the Westmoreland county bar. He immediately began the practice of his profession in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, entering the law office of the Hon. Welty McCullough, then member of Congress from the district. On the return of Mr. This partnership was terminated six months later by the death of Mr. Steel continued the business in the same office and at once sprang into a full practice at a bar composed of some of the best legal minds in western Pennsylvania.

Later he admitted to partnership H. Clay Beistel, who had read under him and who was a former student of Dickinson Law School. Steel had always been a strong Republican and a leader in the propagation of the principles of that party. He served in as chairman of the county committee, becoming widely and favorably known to the leaders as well as the rank and file of the party. In he was the nominee of the party for judge of the Court of Common Pleas, his opponent being the present incumbent, the popular Democratic president Judge Doty.

In a total vote of about thirty thousand. Judge Doty's majority was one hundred seventy-one. Steel was put forward as a candidate of western Pennsylvania for congressman at large against the Hon. Grow, but in the interest of party harmony was withdrawn and elected by the state convention delegate at large to the national convention that placed in nomination McKinley and Roosevelt for president and vice-president.

When the Separate Orphans' Court was created in Westmoreland county, he was appointed, April 26, , to serve as president-judge until the first Monday of January, He was conceded the unanimous nomination of his party and at the November election following was elected president-judge of the Orphans' Court of Westmoreland county for the full term of ten years, beginning the first Monday of January, , which responsible office he has since filled with dignity and honor.

His energy has brought him well earned distinction for the utmost promptness in the dispatch of business, while his business judgment has enabled him to be of great value to the people of his county in controlling the immense amount of real and personal property in the hands of estates, guardians, trustees and others having business before his court.

Beside his legal and official duties, Judge Steel has always been prominent in the business development of his county, banks, real estate and coal lands having been his principal lines of effort. He has organized several of the most important banking properties and in financial positions has served them with zeal and ability. He is interested in the development and handling of the Pittsburg-Connellsville vein of coal in the counties of Washington and Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, and a recent purchase gives him several thousand acres of this same vein in the Captina valley, Belmont county, Ohio.

Farm and town properties are also favorite investments. He is a member of a number of organizations; among others, the Americus Club of Pittsburgh, the Sons of the Revolution, and is chairman of the board of trustees of the First Presbyterian Church of Greensburg. On his maternal side Judge Steel is also Scotch-Irish. The family came from Scotland with the covenanters and settled in northern Ireland, after the confiscation act of King James.

The Browns settled in County Donegal. Matthew Brown, the seventh grand-ancestor of Judge Steel, was captain in Colonel George Walker's famous Derry regiment, which rendered such valiant service and performed such prodigies of valor at the siege of Londonderry and at the Battle of the Boyne. His sword is still preserved as a priceless relic by Howard and William Brown, of Pittsburgh, two of his descendants. William Brown, a noted covenanter of Paxtang settlement - the uncle of the Rev. Matthew Brown for forty years the president of Washington College and Jefferson College, returned to Ireland in and brought over with him certain of his relatives and religious compatriots, among whom were Matthew Brown 1 and the Rev.

Dobbin and the Rev. Matthew Brown 1 was the grandson of Matthew Brown of Ireland before mentioned. Dobbin and Lynn, later of "the seceder church," who afterward founded an academy of learning at Gettysburg and taught the first abolition doctrine at the very spot which, less than a century thereafter was the scene of the fiercest and bloodiest battle in that great civil war, waged over the establishment of the same doctrine they taught.

Matthew Brown 1 settled at Green Castle, Franklin county, Pennsylvania, where he died and was buried leaving five children to survive him. David Brown, the great-grandfather of Judge. Steel, married Margaret Oliver who had been, like himself, a resident of near Londonderry, Ireland, and who was connected with other members of the same family in York county and western Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania, whose mother was Catherine White, moved to Sugar Creek township, Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, about Andrew, lived first in Butler county, Pennsylvania; sold his farm there and bought a mill at Nicholson Falls, at the Allegheny river, then moved to Kittanning, Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, where a part of his descendants reside.

Samuel, said to have moved to Virginia. Her father was descended from Halcro, Prince of Denmark. Henry Erskine was the heroine of the story still told by her descendants and well authenticated of an escape from premature burial. She was saved from this horrible death, through the cupidity of the undertaker, who opened her grave the night of the burial to remove from her finger a valuable ring he had observed there.

In cutting her finger, the blood flowed and awakened her from a trance, mistaken for death. She afterwards became the mother of the two famous ministers, Ebenezer and Ralph Erskine; one of whom was the author of "Erskine's Sermons," and distinguished as the founder of the Seceder Church. David Brown was born July 13, , and died January 23, He took the oath of allegiance before Humphrey Fullerton, a justice of Franklin county, the original certificate of which is still in the possession of the family.

David Brown and his wife Margaret are buried in the New Alexandria Covenanter church-yard, where he and his family were members; and his property was divided between his sons, Thomas Oliver and James Brown. Thomas Oliver Brown, born February 15, , died June 8, , married first Nancy Beattie, born , died November 8, , a sister of Maria Beattie, above mentioned and a daughter of Robert and Martha Welsh Beattie, and granddaughter of William Beattie, of Knockbracken, near Belfast, Ireland, who came from a family, several of whose members were banished for participation in the rebellion of This was fitting blood to mate with the Browns.

Steel ; Margaret Erskine, Mrs. James Monroe Loyalhanna township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. By neither of these last two unions was there an issue. He is buried, as is his wife Nancy Beattie Brown, in the Reformed Presbyterian Covenanter Church-yard, at New Alexandria, of which, like his ancestors, he and his children were members. All the persons mentioned in this Thomas Oliver Brown memoir, his ancestors and his children, are now deceased, the last survivor being Mrs. Sarah Jane Steel, who died March 25, Eliza Steel see John B. Steel by her marriage with Andrew Machesney forms the connecting link between these two Westmoreland county families.

The first settler, of record of the line we are following, was William Machesney, who emigrated from Tyrone county, Ireland, in the year and settled on a farm in Unity township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, about half way between Latrobe and New Alexandria. This farm was known as the "William Penn Machesney Farm. He settled on a farm near Pleasant Unity, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and has numerous descendants in the county. William Machesney's wife was Mary Buchanan, whom he married in Ireland.

The Henderson family, with two exceptions, moved to Ohio, about Thirteen children were born of this marriage: He was a very successful farmer and stock raiser of Unity township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, until the last five years of his life, which were passed in Greensburg, Pennsylvania. He affiliated with the Republican party. They have three children: New Jersey, came to Philadelphia with his brother William in , and engaged successfully in the mercantile business there for many years.

Owen, the eldest, born , died March 19, , a partner with his brother Qement in the shipping and importing business and one of the most ardent patriots of the Revolution, member of the provincial Committee and Council of Safety, delegate to the several provincial conventions and conferences, member of the Board of War, and constantly one of the most prominent members of special committee of these several organizations, and a man of high scholastic and scientific attainments, one of the prominent men and officers of the American Philosophical Society, etc. James Hutchinson, Surgeon-general of Continental troops, etc.

  • !
  • Flashcards and Word Games- Dolch Sight Words 95 Nouns!
  • Demain comme hier (Témoignages pour lHistoire) (French Edition).
  • U.S. Army Technical Manual, TM 3-1040-263-34, COMPRESS RECIPROCATING, POWER DRIVEN, FLAMETHROWER, 3 1/2 CFM, AN-M4D, 1972.
  • Dark Mountain: A Novel of the Future!

On arriving at man's estate he engaged in the shipping and importing business with his father and elder brother Owen, in which they were very successful, until the outbreak of the Revolution, after which he gave practically his whole time to the service of his country, Owen and Clement Biddle were among the first signers of the non-importation agreement, October 25, He assisted in organizing, and was one of the officers of the "Quaker Light Infantry" later known as the "Quaker Blues," originally formed to defend the town against the threatened invasion of the "Paxtang Boys" at the time of the killing of the Conestoga Indians in , which was re-organized in , for the defense of American liberties, and served in the Jersey campaign.

Clement Biddle was appointed quartermaster-general of the Flying Camp, composed of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and other bodies of militia, with the rank of colonel, and as such took part in the battles of Trenton, Princeton. Brandywine, and Germantown, was delegated by Washington to receive the swords of the surrendered Hessian officers at the battle of Trenton; and during the encampment at Valley Forge was active in securing supplies for the suffering soldiers, having his headquarters at "Moore Hall," Chester county, where his wife and family likewise resided.

The next winter was spent with the army at Morristown, New Jersey. October 15, , Colonel Biddle was at Amboy, New Jersey, when he was appointed by General Greene, as an aide de camp, and member' of his staff, and during the remainder of that month and November was with General Greene at Fort Lee, on the Hudson. He however, returned to the Delaware with the retreating army across New Jersey, and participated in the heroic crossing of the Delaware on Christmas night, and the capture of the Hessians, as before stated.

In the fall of he was appointed by the Supreme Executive Council, quartermaster-general of Pennsylvania, having served previously as commissary of supplies, and co-operated with his brother Owen, in securing ammunition and stores for the use of the army in the field, like him pledging his own means to secure supplies, at a time when the state and nation was bankrupt. He held this office and that of quartermaster-general of Pennsylvania militia, long after the close of the Revolution, officiating as such during the Whiskey Insurrection of He was commissioned Prothonotary of the Common Pleas Court, of Philadelphia county, September 23, , and judge of the same court in , his commissions being still in possession of the family.

He died in Philadelphia, July 14, She died in , and their only child died in childhood. He married secondly , August 8, , Rebekah Cornell, daughter of the Hon.

Gideon Cornell, of Rhode Island, who, at his death in , held the offices of lieutenant-governor and chief justice of the province. Rebekah Cornell Biddle survived her husband seventeen years, dying November 18, They had thirteen children: Thomas Biddle, eldest surviving son of Colonel Clement and Rebekah Cornell Biddle, born in Philadelphia, June 4, , entered the University of Pennsylvania in , and graduated in At Charlestown, Indiana, November 2, , she was married by the Hon.

As a child he came to New York with his father, Thomas Waring, who was born about Thomas Waring became a wealthy merchant of New York City, and held the office of inspector of customs. Charles Robinson Waring was graduated from Princeton University at the age of seventeen. After several years of foreign travel he returned to the United States and became a merchant of Baltimore, Maryland. While a resident of Baltimore the war of with Great Britain broke out.

He enlisted and served in that war, attaining the rank of lieutenant. Edward Purnell Jones was born in Pittsburgh, October 6, , was graduated from the College of Allegheny, Meadville, Pennsylvania, and admitted to the bar, October 26, Some celebrated cases are connected with his record as a lawyer, and he was an active worker in many departments of civic and ecclesiastical life.

He was for many years a member of the Pittsburgh Common and Select Councils, a director and solicitor for the People's Savings Bank, president of the Smithfield Bank, member, vestryman, and junior warden of St. Peter's Protestant Episcopal Church, member of the finance committee of the diocese of Pittsburgh, and one of the incorporators of Allegheny Cemetery. He died November 3, Reineman is an interested member of the "Daughters" and devotes a great deal of her time to patriotic work. She joined the Pittsburgh Society several years ago, and has always been active in society affairs.

She served three terms as a member of the advisory board, followed by two terms in the arduous office of corresponding secretary, and in the year was elected vice-regent. Richard Hays deceased, was one of the older members of the Daughters of the American Revolution National number Captain Irish was an original member of the "Society of the Cincinnati. He was successively ensign, lieutenant and captain, serving in the Second and Third Pennsylvania regiments.

He retired January 17, , and was on "half pay" until his death. John Irwin, father of Boyle Irwin, was born in Ireland in , and made his home there throughout his entire lifetime. He came to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he established a commission business which he conducted many years. He engaged in the manufacture of salt from the year he bored the first salt well west of the Alleghenies until his death.

He accumulated a comfortable fortune, honestly and justly, and to the end of his career was an active man. He was a faithful member of the First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh, and a Republican politically. Mary Ann, married Joseph Painter. Elizabeth, married William McClure. Sarah, married Robert Arthur. Ann, married James Laughlin see Laughlin. Members of the Hays family came to this country prior to the Revolution and some of them were in General Washington's army at Trenton.

They were of the detail left behind to keep the camp fires burning while the army retreated. Richard Hays was the son of William and Lydia Semple Hays, of Northampton, Pennsylvania, the former named having been a tanner and manufacturer of leather. He graduated from the Pennsylvania University, and later became an assistant to his father, thoroughly learning the tanning business.

After the retirement of his father, Richard and his brother Charles succeeded to and continued the business for several years. Richard then sold his interest and turned his attention to the iron and steel business with his brother-in-law, James Laughlin. He became a large stockholder in the Iron City National Bank, also a director, and finally was elected president. He retained this high position until his death, being reelected many times.

He was one of the incorporators and directors of the Citizens' Passenger Railway of Pittsburgh, and served as director twenty-two years, until his death.

  • The History of Rome, Books 01 to 36 (Complete).
  • ;
  • Open Questions: Diverse Thinkers Discuss God, Religion, and Faith.

He was a member of the municipal commission which erected Municipal Hall. He was a member of Allegheny county sinking fund commission for six years. He was successful in his personal business and in the management of corporations with which he held official connection, and was esteemed and honored, as a most valuable citizen. He married, October 30, , Margaret Irwin. Three children were born of this marriage, two of whom arrived at maturity: Her great-grandfather, James Horner, was a member of Captain Bennett's company, Northampton Light Dragoons, in , and his son, James 2 , was captain of the Mountain Rangers, When only a lad he had served General Washington and been approved by him for his promptness.

William Davis, father of John Davis, was an ardent patriot living near Trenton, New Jersey, who supplied farm produce for the troops and took part in the battle while his wife Mary, made lint for the wounded. William Davis married Mary Means and they had a son.

She married, June 7, , John Horner. The Horner family are of Scotch-Irish ancestry; the first member of the family is believed to have come to America in , landing at Chester, Pennsylvania, and settling in Northampton county of the same state. The first of this family of whom there seems to be any authentic account was James Horner, who was born in Allen township, Northampton county, Pennsylvania, , died in She was the first white woman killed in the settlement and is buried in the Allen township burying ground. In he is named in the records as judge of Northampton county, Pennsylvania.

The children of James and Jean Kerr Horner were: James, grandfather of Miss Matilda G. Horner, John, Hugh and a daughter who married a McNair.

Item Preview

When but a lad of nineteen he enlisted in the Revolutionary service and was made captain of the Mountain Rangers, serving from to In he settled in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and for the sum of sixty guineas bought a piece of land on Market street, between Second and Third avenues, of about three hundred feet front. The value of that piece of land now if put in figures, would not seem worthy of belief. Here James Horner erected buildings and established a tannery and harness making business.

After several years he retired from active business life and purchased a tract of three hundred acres on the Frankstown road, where he built a substantial residence, on which he resided until , when he again removed, settling in what is now the borough of Wilkinsburg. Here he erected a new home, the same being the first frame dwelling in that vicinity, now the corner of Wood street and Pennsylvania avenue Wilkinsburg.

The old homestead on Frankstown road stood until , when it succumbed to the march of improvement. He was for many years a justice of the peace for Allegheny county and was known far and wide as "Squire Horner. He used to carry the farm produce to Pittsburgh and was greatly coveted by one of Mr. Horner's neighbors, who finally offered him seven hundred dollars for Jack, after having in various ways tried to induce him to leave his master. Horner found Jack wished to leave him, he would not sell him but instead, gave him his freedom. The deed of emancipation is still preserved by his grandson, James Horner.

Jack did not live long to enjoy his freedom being found dead soon after in the clump of trees on an adjoining farm. His would be master was charged with the murder but escaped and did not return to the neighborhood until after the death of "Squire Horner. David, never married; John, of later mention; Dr. James Kelly ; Ann Mrs. He was educated at home and at Washington and Jefferson College. After leaving college he learned the drug business, and in , in company with Thomas Cleland, opened a drug store in a log cabin at the corner of Third avenue and Market street, Pittsburgh.

After the death of his father he gave up the drug business and removed to the family home m Wilkinsburg. Here, in , he was elected justice of the peace, holding this then important office for fifteen years. In he was elected clerk of the court for Allegheny county and served two terms. His successor was General Thomas Rowley. About this time failing health compelled him to retire from all active participation in public or official life.

He was a man of unquestioned integrity and a faithful public official. He was a supporter of Whig and Republican principles. He married Mary Means Davis see Davis. They were the parents of eight children, as follows: James, born April 1, ; married Margaret S. William Henry, died young. George Kennedy, died young. Matilda Graham, see forward. Eliza McNair, widow of Franklin M. Davis Horner, was born in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania.

She is one of the earlier members of the Pennsylvania Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, being number , and of the Pittsburgh Chapter, number She is unmarried and resides in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. Samuel Blair Griffith descends on the paternal side from Jacob Serrill, patriotic member of the Society of Friends, who was dismissed from the Darby meeting for "taking up arms in a martial manner," and on the maternal side from the Revolutionary soldier, Christian Mowry, one of the heroes of the "Bloody Foot" regiment Eighth Pennsylvania.

The regiment marched five hundred miles from Pittsburgh in the dead of winter to join the army of General Washington at Morristown, New Jersey. They suffered terribly on the march, being without surgeons or medical attendance. Many died on the march over the mountains, and the survivors reached Washington's headquarters in such a sorry condition that they were afterward called the "Bloody Foot" regiment. They served at Brandywine, Germantown and Valley Forge, and throughout the war under the immediate command of General Washington. Christian Mowry was transferred to the west and served in defense of the frontier, being honorably discharged in He died in Pittsburgh in , aged forty-one years.

He married Margaret Klingensmith they had at least two sons: Philip, born within the stockade at Fort Pitt, and Peter, see forward. In he entered the office of Dr. Nathaniel Bedford, who was the first regular practitioner of medicine to locate in Pittsburgh, as an apprentice, and attended lectures at the University of Pennsylvania. After his return from his lecture course, he became a partner of Dr.

Bedford and attained prominent rank as a physician. He was the leading medical authority of that early day. His house and office stood on the east side of Diamond Square. Bedford, his instructor and partner, came to Pittsburgh, a surgeon in the British army. He is represented as having been well educated and of polished manners, but very dressy, wearing ruffled shirt fronts and wrist bands.

Peter Mowry married Elizabeth Grey. Two of his sons, William and Bedford, became physicians, but died in early life. Charles Bedford Mowry, son of Dr. Ellen O'Hara Mowry, daughter of Dr. They were the parents of Jennie Serrill. Jacob Serrill, the great-grandfather of Mrs. Griffith, was the Quaker ancestor mentioned previously who bore "arms in a martial manner" during the troublous Revolutionary times.

He indeed fought "foes without and foes within," and in the battle between love of country and his religious training and profession that he had to fight, a less patriotic man would have taken refuge behind his religion. But those times that indeed "tried men's souls" saw many such inward battles fought and won for patriotic defense against the invader.

Jacob Serrill married Hannah Pearson. Their son, George Serrill, married Jane Pearson. A third line of Revolutionary descent that connects Mrs. Griffith with Revolutionary days is the Pearson. James Pearson, great-grandfather, was captain of a company of Philadelphia Artillery. He died in , aged seventy eight years. He married Susannah Hart. Edward Jay Allen derives membership in the Patriotic Order, Daughters of the American Revolution, from the life and distinguished service of her great-grandfather, William Wilson.

His service was rendered, not on the red field of carnage, but his mission was to protect the frontier settlers from the horrors of Indian warfare threatened through the barbarism of an English governor. William Wilson was born in Pennsylvania, died in Maryland. In June, , he was appointed an agent of the Continental Congress and entrusted with the mission of proceeding from Fort Pitt, through the hostile wilderness, to the British military post at Fort Detroit.

Here he was to meet chiefs of the Indian tribes and try to induce them to come to Fort Pitt and there meet the representatives of the Continental Congress and arrange the terms of a treaty which would prevent the Indians from engaging in the wars then on between the Colonies and Great Britain. This treaty was of immediate importance, as the British commandant. Governor Hamilton, had offered a reward for the scalps of every patriotic American settler, and was influencing the Indians against the cause of the Colonies in every possible way, and hoped to bring on a border war.

William Wilson was a man of great influence with the Indians, and it was now to be used to avert the threatened atrocities. He met the chiefs and was successful in inducing them to leave Fort Detroit, journey to Fort Pitt, where they made a treaty with Congress, thus preventing a bloody war on the defenseless frontier at this time, when it would have been a serious blow to the cause of American Independence.

This was the service rendered by William Wilson and its value cannot be overestimated. William Wilson married Elizabeth Robinson. There were ten children born of this marriage, all of whom are deceased. She was the eldest daughter of the family and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She married William Robinson, in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, about William Robinson died in St. Louis, Missouri, in He was a manufacturer of iron railings and kindred foundry specialties in iron. Three children were born to them: Robinson, now of Knoxville, Iowa; John H.

Louis, Missouri, March 8, Myers, of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Edward H. Rickmers , and Mary L. It has a record of public service not compared by any. They are on record in every department of our nation's development. The early history of the Adams family is well known. They form the only instance where son succeeds father in the high office of president of the United States.

In art, science, literature, religion, business and public service they everywhere are prominent. The other lines, Holmes and Anshutz, are equally famed in Pennsylvania annals. The pioneer iron maker of Pittsburgh was an Anshutz, and the Revolutionary records record the name of Holmes and Thorp. The development of the great Pittsburgh industries has been hastened by the energy of these allied families. The following lines will show the descent of the children of Stephen Jarvis Adams and his wife, Emma Virginia Anshutz, from their Revolutionary forbears, maternal and paternal, Obadiah Holmes, of Pennsylvania, and Lieutenant Aaron Thorp, of Connecticut.

Adams is a descendant in the fourth generation from Obadiah Holmes, her Revolutionary ancestor, who was a scout and Indian fighter. Obadiah Holmes, son of Obadiah Holmes, the western pioneer and first of his name to come to the Alleghanies, served in the militia and acted as a scout between Fort Pitt and Wheeling, Virginia. He was with the Colonel Crawford expedition in that resulted so disastrously and cost Colonel Crawford his life.

He received a grant of land from the government for his Revolutionary service. He married Jane Richardson. He was a practicing physician of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He married first Sarah Peters, born in , died September 20, Eliza Jane Holmes, daughter of Dr. She married, February 20, , Alfred P. Anshutz, son of George Anshutz, and grandson of George Anshutz, the pioneer of the iron industry in the Pittsburgh district. He built, owned and operated the first furnace in that now world-famed section. Theodore, Emma Virginia, see forward, Margaretta L. Emma Virginia Anshutz, daughter of Alfred P.

She has all her life been an active worker in the church, and through the varied organized charitable organizations. She is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and treasurer of the Block House Association, of the Pittsburgh Society of that order that preserved for posterity the historic "Block House" at the "Point" as well as numberless other deeds of patriotism. Stephen Jarvis Adams is a descendant of the Revolutionary soldier. Lieutenant Aaron Thorp, of Connecticut. Aaron Thorp was born June 12, , died in He enlisted September 1, , for the period of the war, in Captain Mill's company, Second Regiment, Connecticut line, and was later transferred to Captain Parson's company.

Previous to this we find the following record: He was the founder of the great Adams family that has furnished the nation with two presidents and so many noted public men. He located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, that he might have the advantages that city offered as a coal and iron center. He started the first malleable iron business west of the Allegheny Mountains, which in after years became so well known as The Pittsburgh Novelty Works, which was always a prosperous and paying business. Adams had the genius of an inventor coupled with the business qualifications of a manufacturer, and could not fail to succeed.

Some of his inventions came into general use, among them a coffee mill, and the Janus faced lock. In he sold out and retired from the manufacturing world. He was a director in many of the companies and financial institutions of Pittsburgh. He was vestryman of Trinity Episcopal Church, chairman of the building committee, and for many years a worker m the Sunday school, the welfare of the young being an especial concern with him.

He was a director of the Dollar Savings Bank, and for many years was a member of the select and common councils of Pittsburgh. He was one of the board of managers of the House of Refuge and of Dixmont Hospital, and an inspector of the Western Penitentiary. He did his full duty as a "soldier of the common good," conscientiously performing all the duties of citizenship and proving a worthy son of his distinguished sires. His political faith was intensely Republican. He married Cynthia Gifford in He was one year old when his parents removed to Wheeling, West Virginia, and still but a child when they located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he received his education in the public schools.

On attaining manhood he was associated with his father in the manufacture of iron specialties, and he remained with him until , when he established the firm of S. His training qualified him to successfully conduct this industry. The plant grew, developed and prospered, becoming one of Pittsburgh's great industrial enterprises.

He inherited the inventive genius of his father and used it freely in inventing and perfecting machinery used in his own plant and in kindred industries. His inventions were numerous and contributed greatly to the development of his business, while many of them have come into general use. He is an active member of Calvary Episcopal Church, which he served as vestryman for several years. For twenty-one years he was superintendent of the Sunday school, a line of work that always specially appealed to him.

He is on the executive board of the Homeopathic Hospital and the board of managers of Allegheny Cemetery. In the former he is a Knight Templar and in the latter he has attained the thirty-second degree. His ancestry entitles him to membership in the Mayflower Society and Sons of the American Revolution, and with both of these societies he is connected.

Marcellin Cote, married Ida E. Bright and has one daughter, Emma Virginia. Logue was his great-grandfather, John Logue, whose birth occurred in Ireland in and his death in Pennsylvania, June 6, ; he enlisted and was sworn into the service, July 11, , was a private in Captain John Ramsey's company, Chester County, Pennsylvania Militia. He was a farmer by occupation. He married Rachel Morgan.

He married Mary A. Hetrick; one child, John J.


Wilson; four children; Minnie I. Callear; one child, Cora Mae; Harry A. Stewart ; one child. Logue, son of Thomas M. He first spent several years of his earlier life in working on the farm and attending the Independence Public Country School, afterwards attending the West Freedom Academy and the Calensburg Academy and later the Rimersburg Institute, all in small villages near their farm home. At the age of fifteen he began teaching his first term of country school at Meyers school house, Toby township, teaching there for three terms, then teaching at Blackfox, Perry township, Clarion county, Pennsylvania.

The following year he had charge of one of the schools at Clarion county, seat of Clarion, or his home county, then he entered the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio, and graduated from this school at a later date. During the year Hon. James Mosgrove, of Kittanning, Pennsylvania, member of congress from Mr. Logue's district, appointed him as a cadet at West Point, New York, but due to his being under twenty-one years of age, it was required by the government to secure the consent of his parents to enter West Point and they refusing to consent, he was unable to go there but succeeded in having Mr.

Mosgrove appoint a Mr. Charles Farrenworth in his stead, who entered West Point and graduated later with honors. Logue at a later date became a candidate for county superintendent for the public schools in Clarion county, and due to his not being of age the state superintendent refused to allow a commission to be issued him. About this time he entered the fire insurance business in Clarion county, seat of his county, and at a later date, November, , came to Pittsburgh and entered the fire insurance business at that place. In the year his brother, Harry A. Logue, joined him in Pittsburgh and they started in the produce and commission business, this being managed and conducted largely by his brother, Harry A.

Logue continuing in the fire insurance business and assisting in the commission business from time to time and continuing this until December, , when same was discontinued and Harry A. Logue joined in the fire insurance business under the firm name of C. In May, , Charles M. Logue was elected vice-president and treasurer of the Collins Cigar Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and from that date on gave his attention to the cigar business and Harry A.

Logue conducted the insurance business. In the year Charles M. Logue was elected president of the new corporation - the United States Cigar Company. On the formation of this new company or corporation, owned by the American Tobacco Company, Charles M. Logue was elected president of the American Stogie Company, which place he filled for several years, or until he broke down in health, when he resigned and after spending a year or so recuperating, returned to Pittsburgh and associated with Harry A.

Logue in the continuance of the fire insurance business, started by them several years previously. After his return they formed, in addition to the firm of C. Logue and Harry A. Logue, and started in conducting a general agency business, having secured the general agency of several of the largest fire insurance companies. Active work was begun and they have succeeded in building up one of the largest fire insurance businesses there is in the state of Pennsylvania, as well as the largest local fire insurance business in the state.

They are handling some of the largest manufacturing plants in the country, and in addition are doing considerable work in the installing of automatic sprinklers for their clients, as well as being interested in a large number of other enterprises. At the present time and for several years past he has been a director in the Bank of Pittsburgh, N. He is also at the present time a director in the Homewood People's Bank of East End, Pittsburgh, and a director in the American Stogie Company of New York, Union-American Cigar Company of New York, as well as interested financially in several leading manufacturing concerns of the city of Pittsburgh and mercantile concerns of the same city.

Logue married Ella M. Hendrickson, of Pittsburgh, February 20, ; they have two children dead and two living; Alice and Edward are now living. Logue's mother is living; his father died in August, Crozier Logue, graduated from Duff's College of Pittsburgh, and in joined in partnership with his brother, Charles M. He married Maria Ogden. Decker obtains membership in the patriotic orders of Sons of the Revolution and Sons of the American Revolution. Frances Hull, daughter of John Hull, Jr. It is through the maternal line as described that Air. He enlisted April 26, , and was discharged July 26, , which makes his term of service in excess of six years.

He was with the army of Washington at Valley Forge during the never-to-be-forgotten winter of , as the company roll shows under date of November 10, December 4, , January 1, February 1, March 5, April 4 and May 4, During he was transferred to the western department, headquarters at Fort Pitt Pittsburgh and was sergeant of a company of Colonel John Gibson's Thirteenth Virginia, as shown by regiment rolls dated April 5, , at Fort Pitt, and another roll dated June 8, , at Pittsburgh.

On subsequent rolls he is named as serving at Fort Pitt until the close of the war, final discharge dated July 26, I, sheets 68 and Took arms with him. Vadalect Council Chamber, June 23, A warrant was issued to the above non-commissioned officers and soldiers, June 26, I, page - four hundred acres. Certificates filed, John Hull, sergeant, enlisted April, , so it is uncertain whether the term of enlistment began January 1 or April 26, It is gratifying to know that the old hero got his land warrant for four hundred acres of land No.

He was for six years a soldier in Fort Pitt where he learned rope making. William, Susannah, Jane, Margaret and John. John Hull and wife are buried in Trinity churchyard, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, both being members of the Episcopal church. He was married at Allegheny, Pennsylvania, in , to Sarah Carnahan, born in the north of Ireland about , died at Allegheny, Pennsylvania, He was a rope maker by occupation. He resided several years of his life in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

He was an Episcopalian in religious faith. He was known as Captain Hull. Leititia, William, John, who was Colonel of state troops in Montana, and the first territorial treasurer, Frances and Morrison. Solomon Decker was a carpenter and a building contractor. He was a member of the German Reformed church, but his wife was an Episcopalian, the Hull family religious faith. They resided in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where their children were born, eight in number.

He was educated in the public schools of his native city. Early in life he entered the iron and steel business, passing through successive promotions of bookkeeper, auditor and sales manager. At present, , he is in the iron commission business. In politics he is a Republican, but never sought or held public office.

He is a member of the Shady Side Presbyterian Church. Elsewhere he has held the offices of deacon, elder and treasurer. He is a member of the Duquesne Club. Lovejoy is as follows: